Wirral South MP Alison McGovern shows support for postal workers on National Postal Workers Day.
Today marks National Postal Workers Day which celebrates the work of postmen and postwoman across the country and gives people a chance to thank them for the work that they do on behalf of their customers.
In the run up to Christmas postal staff are especially busy delivering cards and parcels.
Speaking about the occasion Ms McGovern said: “I have visited local postal staff since my election in 2010 including during the Christmas period and they are always working very hard to get our post delivered to us on time. They do a very important job for us and it is only right that we take the time to appreciate the work that they do. So that is why I would like to say a personal thank you to them. I remember when I shadowed a postman from a local delivery office based in New Ferry and he was very helpful and I got an insight in to what their daily work involves.
She added: “National Postal Workers Day is part of the People’s Post campaign. Postal Workers are facing threats to their terms and conditions as well as the service they provide. There are a number of objectives that underpin this campaign including a call for new and stronger legislation to safeguard daily deliveries and supporters of the campaign can find a petition online calling for a Parliamentary debate on Postal Services. This can be found at www.supportthepeoplespost.co.uk"
The People’s Post Campaign Objectives
- New and stronger legislation to safeguard daily deliveries.
- A complete overhaul of the Regulator’s role and a limit to competition.
- An end to insecure employment models across the postal sector – ending Ofcom’s push for a race to the bottom.
- New innovative products and services for customers and an enhanced role for postal workers in communities.
- The establishment of a Workers’ Trust, giving staff a collective voice to rival private hedge funds and investors.
- The Re-nationalisation of Royal Mail (a Labour Party commitment) and reintegration of the Post office network.